- News media pay systems
- News media business models
- Digital media revenue
- News media transformation
- News media ownership
- Awarded Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship at AUT in December 2017.
- Awarded the ‘best New Zealand research paper’ at the World Journalism Education Congress in Auckland, July 2016, for the research paper How digital are the news publishers? A study of newspaper publishers’ evolving revenues, and how they may support journalism and future newsrooms.
- Awarded Emerging Academic Scholarship by Journalism Education Association of New Zealand (JEANZ) and Journalism Education Association of Australia (JEAA).
- Awarded the ‘best research paper’ at the International Symposium for Online Journalism in Austin Texas, April 2009, for the case study of Taloussanomat, the Finnish financial daily and its transformation from the print paper to online-only.
In 2015, awarded PhD for the thesis investigating revenue models of two large Australasian publishers Fairfax Media and APN News and Media. The thesis examined how the companies print based revenue models entered the crisis; how they managed their digital transformation; and how their managed their digital strategies, including introduction of paywalls.
The thesis was titled No more free news. A study how the business models of APN and Fairfax have evolved towards paywalls.